Wednesday, April 27, 2016

An Open Letter to Target:
Regarding your New Restroom Policy

April 20, 2016   

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a woman. I am a frequent shopper in your stores. I am first and foremost a mother. Your recent change in policy of who you allow to use each restroom concerns me. You stated in your blog post, “We believe that everyone…deserves to be protected from discrimination and treated equally.” and “…you’ll always be accepted, respected, and welcomed at Target.” As a business owner, I do understand your right to make a stance as a company. As a parent, I will never understand why you would trade the safety of our women and children for the sake of not hurting  feelings.

I realize that everyone needs to feel accepted, loved, and wanted. I know the struggles of a person struggling to find their identity. I also know that as of September 2012, a Gallup poll showed that approximately 3.4% of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. If, for argument’s sake, we assume that those groups are of equal representation in that number, that would indicate that of the American population, only 0.85% of Americans identify as transgender.

Let’s also look at other statistics, taken from RAINN.ORG:

1 in 6 women will be the victim of attempted or completed rape in her lifetime.

1 in 9 girls under 18 have REPORTED being the victim of sexual assault.

1 in 53 boys under 18 have REPORTED being the victim of sexual assault.

These numbers factor out to being 16.67% of women, 11.11% of girls, and 1.89% of boys.

If anyone is allowed to “claim” an identity of a gender not their own, they will have unlimited access to anyone they so choose. A woman could claim to “identify as a man” and YOUR little boy could become 1 in 9 in an instant. A man could claim to “identity as a woman” and have instant access to myself and my daughters. BAM. I am 1 in 6 and my little girls are 1 in 9.

You have taken the FEELINGS of LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of our population into account  and in one swift statement told the entire country that the safety of our vulnerable women and children is of no concern to you or your staff.

I have questions:

How can you ensure that the people entering the restrooms of the opposite gender are, indeed, of the “gender persuasion” they are currently claiming to identify with?

Are you willing to send your wives and daughters into a restroom that is occupied by another man and trust that he is who he says he is? How about your son with a  woman?

How should I handle an instance where my two and four year olds see a man’s private parts and I have to explain a) why she saw his genitals and b) why is in a women’s restroom long before they should ever have to consider such adult matters?

And, lastly:

WHY are you willing to forego the physical safety of the many to appease the internal struggle of the few?

I’ve never “boycotted” a company based on political views. However, I will refuse to use a company for the safety of my children.

Target, you have lost a loyal customer because you have betrayed my trust. My children’s safety comes first.

Cate

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said. May Target burn in hell for this pansy ass stance.

Jeffrey said...

I'll like to have my own restroom at Target with my own key, please. I am a rural-sexual and I require the smell of hay and a barnlike atmosphere to relieve myself.

mzchief said...

It's fairly simple, if the the chick has a d!ck, they're a dude.

For Heaven's sake, if you stick a horn on a pony and dust glitter in it's main and tail, it's still not a unicorn.


If you leave it to Libtards, we all get to play dress-up and pretend to be whatever we want. I guess from now on, if parents dress their little girls in tutus and gossamer wings they're no longer girls but are real life faeries.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has the right to fly their freak flag. However, they don't have a right to make me stand up and salute it.